Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Why This Blog?



TPN


We started this blog to supplement our family business so I guess I should back up and talk about why we started our business!

I've had various skin problems including eczema, Rosacea, sensitive skin, and a number of supposedly unexplainable rashes. I saw different dermatologists, and it became clear that they really didn't know what to do with my skin. They prescribed every imaginable prepared cream and ointment, and then went on to prescribe compounded creams. Nothing worked.

In the past several years, I've had other health problems, such as osteoarthritis, lymphedema, candida, and pituitary problems, that became severe enough that Nick left his career of 21 years as an IT Director to come home and take care of me and our children. He wanted to find work that he could do from home, and, at the same time, I was searching for answers to my health issues.

Most of the experiences I've had with orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, pain management doctors, and other physicians have been similar to the experiences I had with dermatologists. I was given steroid injections, epidural injections, physical therapy, and a huge number of prescription medications that left me unchanged or, more often, suffering with new side effects.

So, I quit. I'm working on getting healthy my way, by changing what I put in my mouth and what I put on my body. I'm finished with toxins; I'm finding ways to nourish my body, both inside and out.

Two of our children have eczema, and we started making our own body butters and salves for them.  Friends asked if we'd make some for their children, and we decided we wanted to share things that worked for us. 

We adopted all of our children, and they're African American.  In addition to the body butters and salves, we found that coconut oil helped keep their skin nourished, hydrated, smooth, and beautiful.

We also love the raw honey we use and eat, and wanted to share that with others.  We started eating it in hopes of helping our children with their seasonal allergies.  We grew to love it so much that Nick started making his own raw creamed honey which he flavors with different organic flavors.

So we're starting our little family-run business and we're starting this blog. Nick does all of the work on the business end, with a little input here and there from me. :) My current personal goal is to work on getting myself healthy and getting my family healthy. One way to do that is by using products on our skin that support good health, rather than hinder it.

I know many people who eat really well...but don't give a second thought to the chemicals that they slather on their bodies. They use products by manufacturers that have spent big bucks on advertising to make us believe that their products will make us look and feel younger, or happier, or more beautiful, or more assured; they will target whatever their studies show our weaknesses are. Uninformed consumers buy into this and spend small fortunes on these products that are made with petrochemicals, fragrances that have been proven to be carcinogenic, parabens and other chemical preservatives. The skin is our body's largest organ and these products, with their carcinogens, plasticizers, endocrine disruptors, reproductive toxins, and pesticides, are designed to penetrate it, and many of them have been found in people's tissue, fat, and urine. The laws regarding what can be added to personal care products are weak, and the ingredients are not safety tested. The result is a lot of products in appealing packages, created to make the manufacturers rich, rather than to benefit our skin. In addition, many of these products are tested on innocent animals, and they are harming the earth and the wildlife as more and more chemicals end up in our air and in our rivers and streams.

We want to find and share products that promote good health, and are free of harmful ingredients. We're always open to hearing about new products and we welcome feedback. We'd love to have have anyone who's interested join us on this journey to good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails