Monday, March 14, 2011

More Kale!

I know people who adore kale, and I know people who barely acknowledge its existence. I never ate it until I read about how it was packed full of Vitamins A, C, K, B6, and folic acid, plus the minerals calcium, potassium, copper, and manganese, in addition to other nutrients. I started sauteing it along with other greens. Later, I learned to enjoy kale salads, too. But, it wasn't until I tried it dehydrated that I truly fell in love with kale.

We sell Brad's Leafy Kale, which, as as I've said before, I love, especially the cheesy Naked variety.

Awhile ago, we were contacted by New York Naturals, asking if we were interested in selling their kale chips. They sent us some samples and we did some taste tests.

New York Naturals come in four flavors: Bombay Ranch, Sea Salt & Vinegar, Spicy Miso, and Vegan Cheese.

The Bombay Ranch Kale Chips are described as having a sort of curry/ranch flavor. I didn't find the curry taste to be at all overwhelming, and I loved the overall flavor. The ingredients are: Kale, cashews, sunflower seeds, red onion, garlic, basil, white pepper, turmeric, apple cider vinegar, sea salt.

My oldest son is a huge fan of salt and vinegar potato chips, something I have never liked. Based on that, I was hesitant to even try the Sea Salt & Vinegar Chips, but I sure am glad I did. I absolutely loved them! They're a little bit salty and a little bit sour, and I had to fight my son, who is not a natural food fan by any means, for them! Ingredients: Kale, raw sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, white vinegar, sea salt. As a family with nut allergies, I noticed that this variety doesn't contain nuts, but is manufactured on shared equipment with nuts.

I am not a fan of spicy foods, and the Spicy Miso was too hot for me. The small bite that I tried had a great flavor, and I'm sure that people who love spice would love these! Ingredients: Kale, cashews, sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, white miso, white onions, garlic, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, turmeric, spices, sea salt.

The Vegan "Cheese" Chips were a big hit, too. New York Magazine described them as: "Doritos for health nuts: raw, vegan, delectably crispy wafers, made from kale leaves laboriously massaged with a cheesy-tasting coating of pulverized cashews, cayenne, red peppers, and lemon juice, and air-dried at 115 degrees for up to fifteen hours." Ingredients: Kale, cashews, sunflower seeds, red bell peppers, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and sea salt.

Each 3.5-ounce resealable and recyclable container is made from a half-pound of kale, which adds up to a whole lot of nutrients. I can pretend that that's why I'm eating them. The truth, however, is that I eat them because they're absolutely delicious and addicting!

TPN

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails